Chat with us, powered by LiveChat


State Electrical Licensing Requirements

Montana offers state licensing of residential, journeyman, master and electrical contractors. For details on each licensing type, please visit Montana's Electrical Board website.


Montana reciprocates residential and journeyman licenses with the following states:

  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Indiana
  • Minnesota
  • Nebraska
  • New Hampshire
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • North Dakota
  • South Dakota
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Wyoming

Montana does not have master electrician licensing reciprocity.  The only way to obtain a master license is via examination.


Montana State Electrical Board
301 South Park, 4th Floor
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513
Fax: 406.841.2305